Berlagezaal, Faculty of Architecture
(Julianalaan 134, Delft, The Netherlands)

The conference will take place in the Berlagezaal of the Faculty of Architecture. This room is named after a prominent Dutch architect, H.P. Berlage (1856-1934), who has designed numerous buildings in The Netherlands such as the gemeentemuseum in Den Haag and de beurs van Berlage in Amsterdam. In 1914 Berlage received an honorary degree at Delft University of Technology. The Berlagezaal is in the west wing of the ground floor of the building, as indicated on this map of the campus.

View larger map

The Faculty of Architecture can easily be reached on foot from the city centre or the Westcord hotel (about 15 minutes). Alternatively, take one of the following bus lines from back of the Delft train station:

  • 40 to Rotterdam, 69 to Technopolis or 51/121/174 to Zoetermeer (alight at the Julianalaan stop)
  • 60/62 to Nootdorp, 80 to IKEA or 82 to Delfgauw (alight the Michiel de Ruyterweg stop)
These buses depart very frequently. You can find times using the public transport planner.



The Netherlands is easily accessible by air from the entire world. Schiphol International Airport ( is one of the central airports for both intercontinental as well as European flights.

You can easily travel from Schiphol to Delft by public transport such as the Schiphol Travel Taxi and by train ( There is a direct connection which brings you from Schiphol to Delft in one hour. If you are willing to change trains, the journey will take you approximately 40 minutes. In total there are approximately 7 trains per hour.

Besides Schiphol International Airport, we also have the more Europe-centred Rotterdam-The Hague Airport ( This airport is located approximately 15 minutes (12 kilometres) from the centre of Delft.

Important information for participants who are planning to come to Delft by car: currently there are major construction works going on, regarding the construction of a railway tunnel. As a result the inner city of Delft is less accessible than usual. For information about the accessibility of Delft's inner city we refer you to (only in Dutch).

History of Delft

Delft is more than 750 years old. The city owes its name to the world 'delving', digging the oldest canal, the Oude Delft. Click here for a video with impressions of Delft.

In 1246, Delft received its city franchise from the Dutch Earl Willem II. Delft flourished and new neighbourhoods were added. As early as 1355 the city reached the size it would remain until the 19th century.Delft is more than 750 years old. The city owes its name to the word 'delving', digging the oldest canal, the Oude Delft. In 1246, Delft received its city franchise from the Dutch Earl Willem II. Delft flourished and new neighbourhoods were added. As early as 1355 the city reached the size it would remain until the 19th century.

On the 3rd of May 1536 the great fire broke out. How it started exactly is not known, but it is likely that the wooden spire of the Nieuwe Kerk was hit by lightning and flying sparks set the surrounding houses on fire. Some 2,300 houses went up in flames. More than a hundred years later, in 1654, an explosion destroyed part of the city. The cellar of the former Poor Clares convent on Paardenmarkt was used to store gunpowder. This central warehouse for the region Holland contained some 80,000 pounds of gunpowder. The consequences of the explosion were enormous - two hundred houses were razed to the ground, and roofs fell in and windows were smashed in another three hundred houses. In 1660 a new gunpowder house was built about a mile outside the centre.

More than 400 years ago the Dutch East India Company was founded. It was one of the largest trading companies in the world with a fleet of more than one hundred ships, thousands of employees, offices in Asia and six sites in the Netherlands, of which one in Delft. In 1602, Delft was a flourishing city, a centre of painting, arts, crafts and science. The foundation of the Dutch East India Company and the establishment of a branch in Delft added another important aspect - the trade with faraway countries. Spices, coffee, tea and Chinese porcelain now found their way to the Republic of the Netherlands and to Delft.

In 1842 the Netherlands lagged behind its neighbouring countries from an industrial point of view. The country required technically trained people, and therefore the Royal Academy for Civil Engineers was founded. The Academy used the building vacated by the artillery school. The Academy of then is the University of today, which is also the largest employer in Delft. Some thirteen thousand students are registered with the TU in Delft. Delft is not just a city of culture, but also a city of knowledge. Not just because of the University and TNO, but also because of the many knowledge-based institutes and companies - DSM, the Dutch Normalisation Institute, the Dutch Measuring Institute, Exact Software, Delft Instruments, etc. The Netherlands is world famous for its hydraulic engineering works. Students from all over the world come to Delft University and the Unesco IHE to gain more knowledge. Large projects are simulated to scale in the WL/Hydraulics lab.

Highlights in Delft

Delft University of Technology

The university was established on January 8, 1842 by King William II of the Netherlands as a Royal Academy, with the main purpose of training civil servants for the colonies of the Dutch East India Company. The School rapidly expanded its research and education curriculum, becoming first Polytechnic School in 1864, Institute of Technology in 1905, finally gaining full university rights in 1986.

Through the course of the years the logo of Delft University of Technology changed, as its official name did. The current logo is based on three official university colors cyan, black and white. The letter "T" bears a stylized flame on top, remembering the flame that Prometheus brought from Mount Olympus to the people, against the will of Zeus. Prometheus, is sometimes considered as the first ever engineer, since he brought the knowledge to mortals about fire which they did not possess, and is an important symbol for the university. His statue stands in the center of the newly renovated TU Delft campus, Mekelpark.

Delft University has 8 faculties with a total number of 16.000 students and 4600 staff members and is affiliated with 3TU, IDEA, CESAER, EUA and SAE.

One of the most characteristic  buildings on Delft University’s campus is the library.